Rocky Mount Church of the Nazarene began with a vision. The presence of Holiness churches, especially Nazarene churches, was very sparse in Eastern North Carolina. In the 1970’s Rocky Mount was seen as the dominant and most dynamic city of northeastern North Carolina. This would be a key location for a Nazarene church. Not only could the message of holiness be shared with the people of Rocky Mount, but it would also be a center for the spread of Nazarene churches throughout the region.
Under the support of Burlington First, Fayetteville, North Raleigh and the North Carolina District Church of the Nazarene, The Rocky Mount church was official organized on February 20, 1977 under the ministry of Rev. David Holtz.
The Rocky Mount Church began in an apartment on Sunset Avenue then moved to a storefront on the corner of Sunset Avenue and Howard Street. On May 6, 1984 we moved into our permanent church home at 1530 Hunter Hill Road.
In 1977 the church was organized with 5 members. Today we average over 100 in attendance with a membership of 166.